Netwoven offers Spectrum Health a comprehensive and modern environment along with savings in license cost
- Jive to Microsoft 365 Migration
- Microsoft 365
- SharePoint Online
- OneDrive for Business
- Microsoft Teams
- Power BI
- Power Apps
- Power Automate
Jive to Microsoft 365 Migration Case Study
Spectrum Health was using Jive as their primary messaging and collaboration platform. Jive was used as a document repository by the user groups and community portals to share updates, news, discussions, etc. They were exploring options to implement real-time user collaboration through industry best practices such as voice, video, and messaging channels. The goal was to move towards a seamlessly integrated social collaboration experience and avoid disconnected experiences across multiple tools and platforms. However, the challenge was migrating thousands of Jive communities and their conversations and content over to Microsoft 365, a new platform, while ensuring business continuity with maximum efficiency.
Spectrum Health decided to migrate from Jive to Microsoft 365 for the following reasons:
- Microsoft 365 was adopted as the primary emailing and messaging solution
- Other Spectrum Health workloads of Microsoft 365 bundled the license and collaboration capabilities that overlapped with Jive, which made continued licensing for Jive as a stand-alone collaboration platform redundant
- Unification of the collaboration experience would benefit the organization by consolidating on one platform
- The legacy system had an outdated information architecture, no longer accurately reflecting Spectrum Health’s current view of itself, making it difficult to find information
- Strategic alignment with one platform would eliminate confusion with established processes
The solution we offered the customer leveraged almost the complete range of Microsoft 365 suite, including Microsoft Teams, SharePoint Online, OneDrive, and the Power Platform. The migration process also made effective use of Power Platform tools such as Power BI, Power Automate & Power Apps.
Netwoven assisted Spectrum Health by facilitating workshops where the attendees made decisions on architecture, governance, user experience & migration strategy. These included performing card sorting and tree testing activities to validate the findings made. Netwoven also defined robust and flexible migration processes, mapping every use case to Microsoft 365 and providing stakeholders with a clear vision of the expected user experience. The final solution created a unified content collaboration experience for users that leverages the entire Microsoft 365 suite. The rollout of this solution was accompanied by an extensive and targeted adoption program to ensure a smooth transition for the many different roles across their entire organization.
To help Spectrum Health transition from Jive to Microsoft 365, Netwoven designed a five-step flexible & customized migration strategy based on the specific use cases and challenges anticipated by the customer.
Migration Readiness Assessment (Discovery & Analysis)
Before initiating the migration, Netwoven used the Power BI tool to create an interactive content inventory and analysis report to determine what content exists in Jive, what needs to be migrated and what had to be archived. It helped understand the best mapping options for Jive content types and the top contributors to notify and include in the migration plan. It also provided the ability to search, sort, and filter inventory information based on content type, status, year of creation, and modification.
Next, Netwoven arranged a workshop to fully understand Spectrum Health’s organizational structure to make determinations on architecture structure and security model. After the workshop, Netwoven team performed the following:
- Proposed a target information structure to match Spectrum Health’s organizational structure and function
- Created POC sites on all use cases discussed in the workshop
- Created a detailed Migration Strategy document content with container and content classification and their proposed target mapping.
- Addressed all the requirements to classify the content accurately and migrate related documents and discussions together into a group site with MS Teams as conversation channels.
The Jive to Microsoft 365 Migration tool developed by Netwoven and built on .Net and Microsoft SQL was the backbone of the migration process. The tool was customized to meet all the use case scenarios for Spectrum Health:
- Create the SharePoint home page with out-of-the-box (OOTB) & Custom web parts (e.g., Mosaic, featured content, Categories, etc.) to allow the users to have a consistent experience from Jive
- Custom SPFx web part, ‘Rich Text Editor’, is created to solve the editor issue
- Custom SPFx web part, ‘Mosaic’, is created to support the home page functionality
Test & Pilot migration
Test migration helped Spectrum Health visualize the customization that was agreed upon in the workshop. Sites created on the production environment replicated the exact look & feel of the planned migration.
Pilot migration was conducted to demonstrate how production migration would work and to test existing data in production. The team carried out a pilot migration exercise by mapping out content from few listed Jive places and applying the target information structure, classification, and metadata rules to migrate specific SharePoint site collections, MS Teams, and OneDrive.
Final & Delta migration
After the successful pilot migration, the team started the final migration with a migration approach and phased delta migration to support the migration process of more than 10,000 containers, including personal spaces.
- The tool developed in-house for modular migration was customized to speed up the migration process of terabytes of content to meet the timeline
- All the Jive projects to Microsoft Teams and permissions from their parent were mapped
- Fully leveraged Microsoft 365 group’s sharing and permission model to replicate the Jive sharing and permission model
- Validation reports were generated to ensure the entire content was migrated successfully to the target location
- A canvas Power APP for the site owners and QA of the migration team were created to address the questions and issues related to migration
To ensure users could find the newly migrated content on the Microsoft 365 platform, Netwoven provided three weeks of post-migration support. Netwoven implemented the URL Redirection module, which helps the user find their Jive content easily
The customer achieved a more straightforward collaboration tool that offered optimal support to their employees in everyday activities. Spectrum Health gained tremendous cost savings and value through the consolidation of Jive into a modern Microsoft 365 intranet.
- The migration helped Spectrum Health rebuild its information architecture in Microsoft 365
- The customer was made to understand even during the initial assessment and PoC sessions that Microsoft 365 provides a more comprehensive and modern environment
- Non-active sites were archived into a Team site, personal documents and blogs were migrated with their sharing features into OneDrive.